What is sustainability?
“Sustainability is based on a simple principle: Everything that we need for our survival and well-being depends, either directly or indirectly, on our natural environment. Sustainability creates and maintains the conditions under which humans and nature can exist in productive harmony, that permit fulfilling the social, economic and other requirements of present and future generations. Sustainability is important to make sure that we have and will continue to have, the water, materials, and resources to protect human health and our environment.” **
**United States Environmental Protection Agency
Midwest is proud to offer the following sustainable products.
Mushroom Compost (spent mushroom substrate)
This high quality, sustainable compost is a combination of composted straw, horse manure and supplemental nutrients. While originally designed to meet the stringent nutritional and structural media requirements for mushroom growers, this formulation is excellent for soil amendment used in the landscape. The high nutrient values are excellent for inducing plant growth and health, while the structural characteristics are ideal for loosening and improving the heavy soils prevalent in the Chicago area.
- A “GREEN” choice that supports recycling & promotes environmental stewardship
- Improves water retention and infiltration
- Helps restore soil structure, aeration, humus content and suppress weed growth
- Provides a fantastic home for earthworms & other beneficial microbe activity
- Buffers soil temperature variations
- Encapsulates soil
- Eliminates erosion for sustainability of soils
- Stabilizes shorelines and riverbanks
- Engineered for reinforced soil structures (MSE or RSS)
- Native bioengineering facing
- Improves water quality
- Manages stormwater
- Reduces long-term maintenance
Curlex Biodegradable Erosion Control Blanket
- Prevent erosion, assist in germination and protect seedlings
- Dense mat of interlocking, curled Aspen excelsior fibers
- Green color-coded plastic netting for applications requiring UV resistance, strength and longevity and bio-degradable for sustainability
- Weed and seed-free
- Stays in place on even the roughest terrain
Straw Biodegradable Erosion Control Blanket
- Biodegradable sustainable straw fibers with a single net on the topside
- Provides erosion protection for seed and topsoil during root system development
- Lightweight and easy to handle
- Durable, easy-to-use watering system that promotes deep root growth
- Fill just 1 to 2 times per week
- 100% water absorption with no run-off for water conservation
- Reduces transplant and drought shock
Midwest Roof Media
Formulated under the German FLL standards, Midwest Trading is uniquely able to provide a variety of green roof and roof garden growing media for a variety of applications. A popular global trend in urban settings, green roofs and roof gardens reduce runoff, lower ambient air temperatures, reduce air and zone pollutions, provide a natural habitat for insects, birds and small animals, improve site aesthetics.
- Developed and tested at Cornell University, CU-Structural Soil™ is a growth media designed to provide increased rooting volume for tree roots in plantings adjacent to pavement. It is a mix of crushed stone, clay loam and hydro-gel stabilizer that meets or exceeds compaction specifications for pavement base, yet allows tree roots to develop freely through it. The result is a revolutionary patented stone/soil urban tree mix that extends urban tree life and growth, optimizes root space under pavement, increases porosity and drainage, and provides a stable pavement base. Urban tree growth provides cooling, reduces air pollution, and provides natural habitats for birds and small animals.
Water Conservation and Control
- All three Midwest Trading locations are active in water conservation and control programs. More than 90% of rain and irrigation water is contained onsite for reuse in nursery operations in our St Charles and Virgil locations. Native plants act as filters in vegetative swales and a silting pond which improves the quality of the runoff before the water reaches detention basins. In our Ottawa location, storm water runoff is controlled in accordance with the strict guidelines provided by the Illinois Environmental Protection Agency.
- Within the Midwest Trading and Midwest Groundcovers offices, reusable dishes and utensils are supplied in order to reduce the amount of waste produced from daily meetings and lunch hours. Both in the offices and in the production facilities, glass, plastic, newspapers, and aluminum are sorted and recycled. In 2009, Midwest Trading invested in a hydraulic bailing machine and bails and recycles plastic wrapping materials used in the delivery of raw materials (I.e. the plastic wrapping used for peat moss bales). Several full semi loads of compressed plastic has been recycled annually through this program – material that otherwise would have been dumped in landfills. Not only is the material recycled, the cost of dumpsters and dumping the material has been avoided.